First Time Climbers
Children as young as 4 are welcome to come climbing with us.
Rock climbing is called an extreme sport for a reason, so to make sure everyone has a safe and fun time,
there are some important rules to be aware of before they do:
- The children must never be allowed to climb alone. Children (anyone under the age of 16) must be actively supervised at all times by a responsible person over the age of 18. They will be in an environment that is designed for adults as well as kids, so care must be taken. The responsibility of supervision is always with whomever brought the children, never with Hang On staff unless explicitly stated.
- A waiver must be filled out for each child between the ages of 4 to 17 (inclusive). You can complete the waiver before you arrive, or at reception, but it MUST be presented to reception before anyone is allowed to climb. You can find the waiver by following this link
- Climbing shoes must be worn when climbing. If you don’t have your own, hire shoes are available at reception. No outdoor shoes are allowed on the crash mats.
- One responsible person may supervise up to 2 children at a time. This supervision ratio includes non-climbing children.
Our Training area (designated by yellow and black tape) is strictly off limits to everyone under the age of 18. This is for their safety.
Age does not guarantee maturity!
Our Climbing Passport offers kids the chance to prove that they are responsible climbers that can safely climb unsupervised.
To be eligible for a climbing passport, these criteria must be met:
The child must be over the age of 14 or 15.
- They must have completed our Youth Boulder Safety course to the satisfaction of the instructor OR have completed NICAS 2.
Once the child has their passport, they will be allowed to climb unsupervised.
The passport comes with certain rules:
Each passport has 3 points (similar to a driving license). If the child breaks any centre rules, they will be given a points at the discretion of the centre staff.
- If the child gains 3 points, their Climbing Passport will be removed. The child will not be allowed to reapply for 6 months.
Book onto our passport scheme here
Our Kid's Wall
We have a section of climbing wall that is specifically designed for our younger climbers.
With shorter walls and climbing problems set with a child’s reach in mind, it is the perfect place for future superstar athletes to learn.
We have a variety of lessons available.
Our Kids’ Clubs are perfect for younger climbers looking to experience climbing through fun and instructional games.
Our After School Clubs are great for young climbers looking to meet others and have fun under the guidance of an instructor.
Our Gripped Climbing Club gives kids and young adults a solid foundation on which to advance their climbing.
All can be booked on our Bookings page.